You have a legal duty to manage asbestos
Why manage asbestos?
Asbestos must be properly managed to prevent people dying from asbestos related diseases in the future.
Those who fail to comply with the Control of Asbestos Regulations (CAR) 2012 will risk crippling fines and even imprisonment.
If you are responsible for managing the maintenance and repair of a building, you are the Duty Holder and you must manage any asbestos in it.
The regulations require you to:
- Take reasonable steps to determine the location and condition of materials likely to contain asbestos
- Presume materials contain asbestos unless there is strong evidence that they do not.
- Make and keep up to date a record of the location and condition of the asbestos containing materials (ACM’s) or presumed ACM’s in the premises.
- Assess the risk of the likelihood of anyone being exposed to fibers from these materials and prepare a management plan setting out how the risks from the materials are to be managed.
- Take the necessary steps to put the plan into action
- Review and monitor the plan periodically
- Provide information on the location and condition of the materials to ANYONE who is liable to work on or disturb them.
If you are a Duty Holder contact us now for Free advice on these Asbestos Regulations.