Asbestos warning sent to locals in the Pilton area

An asbestos warning was sent to locals in the Pilton area of Edinburgh after a fire broke out at an old nursery.

The empty building on West Pilton Grove was reported to be on fire at approximately 7.44pm on Sunday.

Five fire appliances, and support vehicles, extinguished the flames after about an hour.

While no casualties were reported, Lothian and Borders Police advised local residents to stay indoors and keep their windows and doors closed due to the possibility of asbestos in the building.

A cloud of black smoke was reportedly visible from the nursery, which was formerly the West Pilton Children’s Centre.

The fire service said an investigation into the cause of the blaze is underway.