The Telegraph have reported on a recent case,
The family of a tourist who died after being scalded by a Premier Inn shower have finally received compensation and an apology from the hotel owners.
Kalyani Uthaman, from India, had been holidaying at a branch of the hotel in Edinburgh when she was severely scalded by the shower. The 59-year-old later died in hospital having suffered multiple organ failure.
Her son, Sundar Uthaman, said he feels “vindicated” following the settlement, which was made nearly five years after the incident in August 2012.
The family’s lawyers had argued for a six-figure sum, claiming the hotel, owned by Whitbread PLC, had failed in its duty of care.
Speaking from Bangalore, Mr Uthaman told the BBC: “I’m still angry at what they did and the fact it wasn’t until Thompsons Solicitors raised the court proceedings that they issued an apology.”
A spokesman for Premier Inn said: “We are very sorry for the tragic accident that occurred to Ms Uthaman in 2012 and our thoughts are with her family.
“We take millions of bookings every year and we would like to reassure our guests that this was an isolated incident.
“We constantly monitor and regulate the water temperature of our showers in line with industry best practice, which is based on Health and Safety Executive (HSE) regulatory guidance and NHS health care guidelines.”
Unsure on your management responsibilities?
Call us now on 0808 1080 766, complete our simple call back form or
Click here to email and one of our team will contact you to discuss your requirement and provide a quote
Based near Stafford in Staffordshire we are ideally placed to carry out water system monitoring of your site in Stoke on Trent, Birmingham, West Midlands, Cheshire, Manchester East Midlands and North West