BBC News have reported that Legionella Bacteria was ound in the water system at Leicester General Hospital.
Patients on two wards at Leicester General Hospital have been stopped from taking showers after Legionella bacteria was found in its water system.
University Hospitals of Leicester (UHL) said bottled water was also being provided to people on wards 28 and 29.
The hospital added there were “no known cases of infection” linked to the water supply and the “measures taken are precautionary”.
The bacteria can cause Legionnaires’ disease, which causes severe pneumonia.
People become infected with the bacteria by inhaling contaminated water droplets.
The bug was found as part of the hospital’s routine safety checks, which includes testing its water supplies on all wards for Legionella bacteria.
David Jenkins, a consultant medical microbiologist and deputy director of infection prevention and control at UHL, said: “Recent tests on wards 28 and 29 at Leicester General Hospital have triggered our safety plan.
“Showers on these wards will be out of use until further notice and… bottled drinking water will also be provided for patients and staff.
“The risk of Legionnaires’ disease for our patients remains low and they are safe.
“The measures being taken are precautionary and there are no known cases of infection linked to this incident.”
Dr Jenkins added people were regularly “exposed to Legionella in their shower at home” without it being a problem.
There are up to 400 cases of Legionnaires’ disease reported a year in England and Wales.
Areas We Serve
We offer our Legionella services on a nationwide basis and can assist you wherever you are in the UK.
Geographically, we are located in the West Midlands which gives speedy access to the following areas:
East and West Midlands
Need to book a Legionella Risk Assessment?
Call us now on 0808 1080 766 or complete our simple call back form and one of our team will be able to help and provide you with a quote.