A inquest being held this week in Chelmsford has heared how an 86 year grandfather Kenneth Ibbetson, died of suspected Legionnaires’ disease in 2015 while resident at a BUPA’s Hutton Village care home.
Mr Ibbetson was taken to hospital in June 2015 where doctors initially diagnosed pneumonia. His condition quickly deteriorated and he died three days later. A post mortem revealed he had died of Legionnaires’ disease.
The inquest heard that several warnings were ignored by staff at BUPA’s Hutton Village care home, Essex prior to the death of Mr Ibbetson.
Shortly after, the Health and Safety Executive launched an investigation and their inspectors found Legionella bacteria in Mr Ibbetson’s bathroom at the care home.
Lack of Staff Training
The jury were told that the risks associated with Legionnaires’ disease were especially high where warm, stagnant water existed. Miss Susan Green, the care home manager had not received suitable Legionella training and previous warnings identified in two Legionella risk assessments were ignored. The inquest was told the care home manager, Susan Green, only received training to control the risks of Legionnaires’ disease after Mr Ibbotson’s death.
Since Mr Ibbetson’s death, Miss Green said the care home had made a number of improvements.
The BUPA owned Hutton Village Care Home was last inspected by the Care Quality Commission in July 2015 when the care overall was described as being ‘good.’
The inquest is currently on going.
Do you think you need more information or help?
If you are a care home owner or operator and you are unsure if your current Legionella risk manaagement proceedures are compliant with what is required by the Health & Safety Executive and the Care Quality Commission please do not hesitate to contact us.
Call us now on 0808 1080 766 or complete our simple call back form and one of our team will contact you to discuss your particular situation.