A DAY centre for elderly people at a Petersfield care home has been shut after a deadly bacteria was found in its water system.
Residents of Bulmer House off Ramshill who recently moved out are being monitored after the discovery of Legionella bacteria.
The bacteria gives rise to Legionnaires’ disease, which can be lethal, especially among older people.
Hampshire County Council’s executive member for adult social care and public health, Councillor Liz Fairhurst, said: “The last residents moved out on Wednesday, February 5.
“We have taken immediate action to safeguard the well being of the former residents, people using the day care centre and staff, and to ensure the bacteria is eradicated.”