Hotels & Leisure Legionella Compliance
Legionnaires’ disease is a rare, though severe, illness in travellers and can lead to major legal costs for hoteliers or tour operators since the disease is preventable through the application of active Legionella control programmes. Legionnaires’ disease is often fatal and the publicity attracted by such cases can severely harm the hotel and tourism business.
The European Legionnaires’ disease Surveillance Network (ELDSNet) have produced a Checklist for hotels and other accommodation sites which highlights the potential risk areas in hotels and leisure facilities.
- Showers and taps
- Cooling towers and evaporative condensers, even if situated on the roof or in the grounds of the accommodation site
- Spa baths, whirlpool baths and hot tubs
- Turkish baths and saunas
- Ornamental fountains, particularly indoors
- Humidified food displays
Risks can be minimised by following some simple processes.
• A competent person should undertake a Legionella Risk Assessment
• Sources of risk should be identified
• Appropriate testing and monitoring measures should be implemented
• Risks and control measures should be regularly reviewed and documented.
• To comply with your legal duties you must appoint a competent person to carry out the risk assessment and provide advice on prevention and control of exposure.
The ELDSNet have produced a 14 point check list to help reduce the risk to hotel guests, visitors and staff which can be downloaded here along with accompanying technical document.
ELDSNet also advise that advice should be sought from experts in this field who can carry out a full risk assessment of the hotel site.
What happens if it goes wrong?
One dead after Legionella outbreak at Ludlow hotel
Legionnaires’ disease Outbreak at Elvis’ Graceland Hotel
Need to book a Legionella Risk Assessment?
Call us now on 0808 1080 766, complete our simple call back form or please fill out the callback form (right) and one of our team will contact you to discuss your Legionella Risk Assessment requirements and provide a quot.
Geographically, we are located in the West Midlands which gives speedy access to the following areas:
- East & West Midlands & North West
- Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent, Stafford, Lichfield & Tamworth
- Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, Walsall Wolverhampton, Solihull
- Warwickshire Coventry, Nuneaton, Statford, Leamington Spa,Rubgy & Warwick
- Leicestershire Leicester, Loughborough, Melton, Market Harborough, Lutterworth
- Cheshire Crewe, Sandbach, Nantwich, Chester, Warrington, Macclesfield
- Manchester Warrington, Macclesfield, Sandbach and North West
- Shropshire Telford, Market Drayton, Shrewsbury, Whitchurch, Newport, Bridgnorth.