The BBC have reported on a recent prosecution by the HSE,
A hot tub sales firm has been fined £1m following the deaths of two men from Legionnaires disease.
Twenty others were also affected after a hot tub on display at JTF warehouse in Stoke-on-Trent exposed people to harmful levels of Legionella bacteria.
Richard Griffin and William Hammersley, 79, from Chesterton, died in 2012. Harry Cadman, 71, from Stoke-on-Trent, died from a pre-exisiting condition.
JTF admitted a health and safety breach at Stafford Crown Court on Friday.
In a joint statement, relatives of the men criticised JTF for remaining “faceless throughout” and never apologising or showing compassion.
“The past five years have been extremely difficult, we have had to endure years of not knowing who was responsible for the outbreak of Legionnaires’ Disease at the JTF store in Fenton that had such tragic consequences for us all.
“JTF have hid behind a wall of silence all these years before finally admitting that they were to blame, not only for infecting all those innocent people but to causing the premature deaths of our loved ones.”
The family of 64-year-old delivery driver Mr Griffin had already said he had never taken a day off in 30 years.
Although Mr Cadman did not die from Legionella bacteria, his quality of life was “severely impaired” by the disease before his death, the court heard.
After the sentencing, JTF apologised “unreservedly” for its failings that had such “devastating consequences”.
It admitted failing to ensure the safety of employees and customers under the Health and Safety at Work Act.
A report by the Health Protection Agency in 2012 said the hot tub was the probable source of the “significant” outbreak.
Since the deaths, a new board of directors and senior management team had been appointed at the company, it said.
“A rigorous and extensive review of the company’s health and safety controls, management procedures and risk assessments has been completed.”
Need to book an Legionella Risk Assessment or Asbestos Survey?
Call us now on 0808 1080 766, complete our simple call back form or Click here to email and one of our team will contact you to discuss your requirement and provide a quote
Based near Stafford in Staffordshire we are ideally placed to carry out an Asbestos Survey or Legionella Risk Assessment in Stoke on Trent, Birmingham, West Midlands, Cheshire, Manchester East Midlands and North West
Asbestos Testing Staffordshire April 2021Are you concerned that your building has Asbestos in it? Asbestos is the single greatest cause of work-related deaths in the UK Here at Qube Environmental, we are specialists in Asbestos Management Surveys that are designed to...
Celebrating 1 year at Qube Environmental March 2021 Siobhan Leese started with Qube Environmental on 17th March 2020 at the very beginning of Covid19, with only working 3 days in the actual office, before having to work from home in line with the first...
Share this post